Why Public Toilets?
Public toilets help us get out of cars and onto our feet, our bicycles and mass transit. We feel comfortable and welcome in places where it's easy to find public facilities.
Our ability to respond to a universal biological need is a basic human right. And those of us who have medical issues or are older, younger or pregnant make more frequent toilet visits.
Health and Fitness
Public toilets enable us to be physically active and enjoy new experiences when we’re away from home. Our mental well-being is enhanced when we’re out with families and friends and know there's a place "to go."
PUBLIC TOILET ADVOCACY TOOLKIT
The purpose of the Public Toilet Advocacy Toolkit is to strengthen the capacity of citizen advocates and city officials to provide and maintain great public toilets that make communities livable, respect human dignity and promote health and well-being. PHLUSH regularly responds to requests from communities throughout North America seeking to increase toilet availability. These seventeen tools are designed for use by city managers, transit authorities, CPTED specialists, public health officials, toilet entrepreneurs, proponents of active living, media professionals, and engaged citizens. INTRODUCTION AND TABLE OF CONTENTS
PART ONE: STRATEGY TOOLS
Part Two: Action Planning Tools
- Gather Information: Walkabouts, Maps, Surveys
- Reach Out to the Community
- Bring Stakeholders Together to Plan
- Tools to Choose Sites Using CPTED
- Understand Codes and Regulations
- Mobilize Support from Residents, Businesses, and Local Officials
- Orchestrate Media Advocacy and Work with Journalists
- Find More Information and Practical Resources